Tonight, Jews around the world will light candles, and sing in Hebrew their prayer to invite in the Holy Day. My Jewish professor, Judy Goldman, was talking to me about what she does as the Sabbath Evening comes. She told me that she gathers her children around after they have dressed in their Sabbath clothing, and they very carefully turn off every electronic device in their home. The televisions, the computers, iPods, and anything else that might distract them from true worship. Then, with her children joining her, they sing a three page prayer that they all have memorized. It begins, "Barukh atah Adonai." Which translated from Hebrew means, "Blessed art Thou, Lord our God."
I was inspired by the faith and strength of this good Jewish woman. She is my Hebrew professor, and already I can read and write the first six letters of the Hebrew alphabet! It really isn't as difficult as it may sound, but I would be happy to write your name in Hebrew when I get back. I will give you a good deal :) Sorry . . . I must be getting used to bartering with the merchants.
I am so grateful to be in this beautiful place. Every morning I wake up and feel like I need to give thanks to God for the opportunity to be here, because I am realizing better what I have, but also what I need to be, and most importantly who I need to be.
We got to have a tour of the underground parts of this building by the director here, Eran Hayet, yesterday. Each of us got to mark our name in the stone of the foundation of the building. It was a cool experience because there are thousands of names down there, and I got to add my name to theirs. The Jerusalem Center really is a temple of learning, but also a place of memories and history. It is such a beautiful building, and I discovered several new rooms and tunnels these past few days. Yes, I do like to go exploring with the professor's children :) They are a lot of fun. The director of the Center reminded us about the absolutely immense costs to keep this place up, and he showed us some additional tunnels that we had not found. He also told us (tangent) that in Israel there is a 100% tax on many things. For instance, if you want to buy a $30,000 car, you pay $60,000 because of taxes. Also, gasoline is about $7 a gallon. So I don't think I have any rights to complain about filling up my car again . . .
We met some great people from New York who are training to be Rabbis and Pastors. They were lost and hungry in the Old City, and I was surprised that I already knew enough to help them find food for a good price and then their way out of the city. It is amazing how much you can learn without realizing it. They asked us how long we were staying in Jerusalem, and when we told them, they were shocked. They could only tell us how long they had saved up and how hard they had worked to only be able to stay a week. They envied our opportunity. One lady named Clare was training to become a Protestant pastor, and she said, "I will spend the next two years of my life digesting this last week in Jerusalem. I can't imagine the opportunity to be able to stay for 3 months!"
I am so grateful to be here, and I love you all!
Shalom,
SJM
SJM
ORSON HYPE PARK - Courtney Neves, Codi Jamison, me
Mount of Olives view of the Temple Mount (Haram al-Sharif)
Dome of the Rock - Traditional site where Muhammad had his "Night Vision" and where Abraham sacrificed Isaac. Also former site of Herod's Temple.
Local neighborhood kids that play near the JC gate.
Church of All Nations in Gethsemane. This is supposedly the rock where Jesus prayed in the Garden, but it is one of many sites that claim to be built where He was.
One of the many possible tombs of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
The magnificent Western Wall, one of the last remaining parts of Jerusalem that still stands as it was in the time of Christ. Jews insert prayers into the wall as part of their worship. The men on the left, the women on right. Everyone must have their head covered. This should sound familiar to some of us :)
Sorry about the white highlighting . . . that won't happen next time :)
ReplyDelete