Hello my wonderful friends and family. I have realized that I probably won't have time to blog every couple days, but I will try to get one in every three or four days.
It has been a busy last two days! We spent them in the city. I hope to get to post some pictures, but they asked us not to take any pictures yet because they wanted us to pay attention and get to learn the city. I feel like my knowledge has grown exponentially about this place. I wish I could fly you all over here and tell you about the Dome of the Rock, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the Church of All Nations, the Church of the Ascension, Damascus and Joppa Gates . . . oh it is all so amazing.
They took us into the city, and fed us some shawarma and salab. Seeing as this is my first time outside of the USA, I am curious and willing to eat anything, which is a good and bad thing. The salab is a drink that tastes like warm custard mixed with dish soap, and I don't like it at all. It was . . . a good learning experience :) Shawarma, on the other hand, is absolutely delicious. I am definitely having that again. It is basically the Arab version of a hot dog, but it is nothing like a hot dog (I guess that doesn't really explain much . . .) It is a bunch of cooked meats, stuffed into pita bread, and heated in a small oven. It tasted like heaven in the wet cold air.
It was surprising to see how commercialized Jerusalem is. Even as we walked along the Via Dolorosa, the "Way of Sorrow," which marks the traditional path where the Savior walked as He carried the cross to Golgotha, the way was lined with food shops, clothing vendors, mini restaurants, etc . . . Though many scholars don't believe that this is actually the place that the Savior walked, it was so strange to see so much retail going on. What was more strange was hearing the vendors recognize us so quickly. They would shout, "Welcome Mormons! 50% off for you!" Another vendor yelled, "We love BYU!" My favorite was one man who smiled and said, "Go Cougars." They even have shirts printed with the BYU logo on them . . . I can't tell you how funny it is to see an olive wood carving of a Star of David, the Virgin Mary, and Joseph Smith all side by side in a shop window.
Luckily, the city is filled with large rooftops that are quiet and very scenic. We climbed some stairs to the top of an Austrian Hospice and looked over the city. It was breathtaking and peaceful. I am looking forward to the Sabbath (which we will have on Saturday like the Jews). I will be teaching primary tomorrow to the local branch kids, and I am looking forward to it.
I have one more story. As we got back to the center, we could hear the beautiful organ being played by Richard Eliot on the top floor of the Center. He will be performing as part of the 25th anniversary of the Center tomorrow night. We snuck into the large Upper Auditorium and just sat looking out the huge windows at Jerusalem while Brother Eliot played and played. I thought about the prophecies about the Holy City, both past, present, and future. It was Orson Hyde who came and dedicated this land, and promised 170 years ago that the Jews would return, the city would be rebuilt, and that the temple would be reconstructed. It was amazing to me that the former two have happened since Brother Hyde's visit. Though it seems now like the temple will never be built again, the other two promises seemed just as unlikely when Brother Hyde came and made all three of them. The Spirit brought back to me conviction that one day the Savior will return to this place, and that He will be recognized by all as King of Kings, and Lord of Lords.
I told Brother Eliot that we were grateful that he played for us, and after we chatted for a little while, we talked about Grandpa May. He remembered him well, but was saddened to hear that he had passed away. I am grateful that Grandpa's good life and influence stretches even to the Holy Land.
I am headed to bed. It is just after midnight here. Goodnight!
-SJM
P.S. I will not be checking facebook or twitter while I am gone, but feel free to email me at sterlingjamesmay@gmail.com
No comments:
Post a Comment